Sunday 13 June 2010

Some Harvest

I got five fave, five strawberries, some cime di rapa, two zucchini and fiori (flowers) di zucchine.

I have dipped the zucchine flowers (similar to squash flowers) in a mixture of beaten egg, flour, gawgaw (maize flour) and some milk then deep fried.

The strawberries went straight to my mouth.

The cime di rapa I sauteed with garlic, eaten at lunch. A bit hard though. They should be harvested and eaten with the flowers still as buds, together with the tender leaves and shoots.

The fave I will eat together with pecorino cheese at dinner .

The two zucchini I will make into soup: sauteed in garlic and olive oil, plus broth, plus basilico, salt, pepper.

Buon'appetito!

2 comments:

  1. Ang sarap naman! What is basilico? - I'm guessing it's basil. Those beans look very healthy - as if five of them is enough gulay for one meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, basilico is basil!
    That bean is fava bean. It is a common North African bean. Maybe there they have to contend with five beans every meal! Here in Italy, specialy in Tuscany, it is harvested early when it is still tender then eaten raw with pecorino cheese. During the May 1 labor day festa, this is a common fare, well, because it so happens that it is its season, I think.
    I get to harvest them a little late though. I eat some fresh but mostly I freeze the seeds (without the pods) which I make into a soup later.

    ReplyDelete