Sunday 25 April 2010

My Compost Bin

At home, we segregate our wastes. Papers and cartons in one container; bottles and plastics in another; plastic bags, etc. in another, and the kitchen waste or organic wastes in another. Our kitchen waste goes to the compost bin. All the others go to their corresponding container in the waste deposit station about 3 km down the road which in turn go to the recycling deposits of the province. I can also make use of the papers and cartons as mulch or compost materials but I since I have a lot of other organic materials for the moment, I don’t do it. I few years back I recycled back the papers to…paper… then tinamad na ako, got fed up.

My husband made our compost bin when I started to garden about eight years ago. Since my husband do some carpentry work and has a well furnished workshop, making it was quick. It is basically made of wood, screens and a metal frame. This morning, I have started to turn the contents: those under went on top, then I have layered them with some leaves and grass. I had to do it sometime ago. It was decomposing anaerobically – napupupos, naghihingalo, not breathing well enough, so the result was muck and bad smell. I found plenty of busy and healthy grubs. I threw some of them for the birds to feed on them. If I have chickens nearby I’m sure they’ll get crazy.



I harvest the compost when they are ready, and when I am ready, too. Maybe I did it twice? I can’t really remember. For me the compost was my way of taking care a portion of my waste. Why bother others when I can manage it? It is my humble contribution to the government in lessening the volume of waste in their deposit. It is also my way of giving back to my nearby environment, that is my vegetable garden, organic materials that I have. Composting avoids pollution and contributes to soil build-up which in turn give nutrients to my vegetables which we eat. Nice cycle, isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment